Military FAQs

The following questions are very similar to questions that have been asked by military personnel.  We try to support our troops as much as we possibly can. Unfortunately there are limits to what we can do.

Question: I am in the army reserve and will be deployed to Afghanistan, maybe as early as before next Christmas, is it possible for me to take explosives classes during deployment?  I might not have a decent internet connection.

Answer: We have always made allowances for military personnel on active duty.  If you are on active duty we will give you extra time and allowances to complete the class.  Many of our classes can be taken distance with materials bundled for you before your deployment.  We have and have had many US military students in our graduate program throughout the world, from Guam to Afghanistan, from Israel to Australia.  Many that have seen multiple tours in active war zones.

Question: I have been through EOD school can I get credit for it?

Answer: To give credit, at a minimum S&T faculty would have to go through the syllabus to determine credit and credit titles.  Unfortunately S&T dropped its facility clearance a few years back and along with that my security clearance was also dropped, so that causes a major problem.

However, S&T graduate regulations allow the transfer of up to 9 graduate credit hours for a S&T Masters of Science.  If an armed forces college is willing to give graduate credit for those classes then we will seriously look at accepting them.  We just can't take undergraduate credit for a graduate program, the university won't allow us to do that.  There is one proviso though and that is the student will have to already of completed his BS or at least senior year in advance to obtain graduate credit.  We have been attempting to figure out something for EOD personnel but we keep on running into a brick wall, especially on the military end.  One lead though is the EOD school at Eglin is run by the Air Force and Air University may give graduate credit as they advertise masters degrees.  This is an opportunity to lobby from within the military.

Question: I am a US Army engineer. Do you give credit for the USAES  captains career course at Ft. Leonard Wood. 

Answer: S&T has several classes in which they give partial credit for the CCC.  Basically you sign up for an hour of S&T make up classes to meet a listed S&T class and gain credit for the portions of that class that are covered during the CCC.  The departments involved include Civil, Geological Engineering and Engineering Management. Courses that we have pre-approved for the explosives Masters are listed on the current courses page.

We are currently trying to work with FTLW and the university to give partial credits for the explosives components of the engineers LT and Captains Career Course (2 credits) and adding 1 hour S&T credit for field expedient use of civilian explosives, wrapping them together in an S&T class called "military demolition" (3 credits). We still have to complete the loop on this class.

Question: I am an army sergeant who has two tours, one in Iraq and one in Afghanistan and have training in route clearance and IED defeat. Can I get credit for this?

Answer: Personally I wish that there was a way to give you a credit break for serving your country including all sorts of things the liberals would frown about.  However, the rules and regulations of the university are pretty specific about this and unless we have a class that is specifically set up for this and taught at the university there is no way I can swing credit (unless some other institution that does graduate level education gives it and you then transfer it).  Somehow, I don't think something like "being in harms way and beyond - 3hrs lab" is going to make it through the curricula committee at S&T. 

Question: I have a BS in Criminal Justice and my buddy has one in Global Studies.  Can we get into the Explosives Engineering degree program?

Answer:  To be eligible you would have to take a whole year's worth of seriously difficult make up classes in math and science.  One of the problems for  armed forces personnel is the push to receive bachelors degree's that are easy and usually not relevant in an engineering setting.  I have seen a lot of transcripts made up of pretty worthless classes that only provide a bachelors qualification and give no foundation for a more serious degree in engineering or physical science.  Unfortunately the easy route narrows your possibilities.

Question: What is the success of military personnel in the program?

Answer: As of Christmas 2013, out of 18 graduates from the MS program, we have had at least 5 military guys successfully graduate.  Including one army lieutenant and a captain who attended the captains career course at FTLW, an EOD officer who was the first distance graduate, a first sergeant in the guard and an ex-army helicopter mechanic.  The first sergeant had survived two IED's in Iraq and numerous fire fights.  However unfortunately an officer dropped out of the program after most of his patrol were wiped out by an IED, he basically lost his appreciation of explosives, which was understandable.  We have another marine officer almost ready to graduate plus several other military guys working their way slowly through the program taking distance explosives classes.

Question: I am enrolled in the Air Force University will you take those credits?

Answer: The Air University is mainly a clearing house for technical training qualifications for prospective employment purposes.  I wish that the Air Force had not picked that name as it has confused many airmen.  An example of a real university the Air Force runs is the Air Force Academy in Colorado. Any credit that you have taken at a community college or university needs to be transferred from those source educational institutions.  Remember credit obtained for an associates or BS degree may not be transferred as graduate credit and therefore is worthless for our graduate program.