Graduate FAQs

Question: I am US Military, come from Puerto Rico and have a BA in Spanish. Can I be accepted for the Masters in Explosives Engineering?

Answer: What? You’re kidding me? That’s like me going to Mexico and getting a degree in English! The masters is an advanced "Engineering" degree and engineering degrees require a solid background in math & science. We accept applications from persons having a B.S. (Bachelors of Science not Arts) in Physical Sciences, Technology or Engineering.

Question: I have an associates degree.  Can I be accepted for the Masters in Explosives Engineering?

Answer:  No.  You first need a 4 year acredited bachelors degree in engineering or physical (not social) science.  You cannot be enrolled in any of our graduate programs without first obtaining a bachelors or graduate degree.

Question: Will you guarantee me a job when I graduate?

Answer: We try and match people where possible with potential employers. It is up to you to build your portfolio, people & interviewing skills, and take full advantage of the opportunities that we offer (see the careers web page second paragraph). Employers in our field tend not to hire on losers, but winners are usually snapped up. If you have 2 heads you will have to get that seen to by a medical professional. Our expertise is in explosives & blasting.

See this link for more information

Question: How do I get my background check?

Answer: The back ground check is the standard state highway patrol check with name and social security number. The current cost is $13. You should go and see Ms. Tina Alobaidan at the mining department as she has the specific paperwork with the return address to us. Tina can answer any further questions you might have about the clearance and how to get it.  She coordinates everyone’s security clearances and let’s people into classes based on their successful background check.

Detailed instructions and the background check form can be found here.

Question: How much will it cost me to get a degree?

Answer: This all depends on whether you are in state or out of state and how many years it takes you to get your degree. Cost information is regularly updated on the admissions page and can be found at Due to the popularity of the MS degree and certificate, the newness of the program and the effects of the recession on State funding of the university, the program does not offer postgraduate scholarships. Once in the mining department there are opportunities to further offset costs by summer and coop employment in industry and eligibility for further industry scholarships and sponsorship (for example modest ISEE scholarships). The cost of getting a degree should be balanced against the great salaries that are available in our industry for qualified people and the opportunity to be involved in explosives their application across a broad suite of applications. Graduate students with suitable prior explosives experience may be eligible to be hired on as a graduate teaching assistant.

Question: What should I do when I get to S&T as a new graduate student?

Answer: Immediately come to the mining office to see Tina and get put on the email list serves so that you are notified of all department activities and opportunities such as summer jobs, float trips, get-togethers and society functions. Also joining the student chapter of the International Society of Explosives Engineers (ISEE) is a must. Come visit the explosives faculty and department chair and discuss your interests and the program further with them, they are a wealth of information about what is going on. We encourage and expect our graduate students to fully participate in departmental activities, the majority of which are great fun, like haunted mine. Also think about looking into the competition teams such as mucking, mine rescue etc.